Monday, December 20, 2004

Um...yeah

My sister-in-law just told the most interesting story. When she got in trouble for missing Sunday School she called a pizza place, flower shop, and plumber in the name of the people she wasn't feeling favorable towards and had them all deliver or arrive. She never told her parents and had never told my brother before... Ah, the fun things you learn late at night when everybody is tired. My brother: "You're a criminal. I married a criminal."

Okay, back to my day. I drove into the center and arrived aroun 07:40, reading for ten minutes before I walked in (having been told to arrive before/by 08:00). Tim (the supervisor responsible for directly assigning me) had me meet with a driver who swung by the building (Jerry) who was on a commercial route. I helped Jerry for several of his stops, getting packages onto a dolly and pushing it through the buildings for him (also holding the elevators while he made quick drops). He also let me take several packages into smaller businesses. Then I was transferred (oh yeah, Jerry was one of the guys who ate lunch with Brad--my second driver-- so I'd met him before) to Bill. Bill is a loud, rather foul-mouthed, but quite funny black guy. He reminds me quite a bit of my friend John (except for the cussing and the Southern accent) ;).

My brother just called his mother-in-law and told the whole story, and she confessed that she really had never known about it.

Oh...the temperature was a nippy 17 this morning (7 with windchill) and I'm sure even colder in the shade (as we were for a while unloading the truck--Jerry and I). While running with Bill he would give me a cart load of packages and send me into several buildings while he would make other deliveries. It was good because I've gotten good experience and the more I ride around the better I get to know the Nashville area.

Okay, again I should have started this earlier as I'm sure there was more I wanted to post...*sigh* Well I'll be back later (most likely tomorrow night). Oh, both of my supervisors were gone when I got back to the building so I headed off to deposit a check and left a message for them to call me at my brother's to tell me what I was supposed to do tomorrow. Apparently Brian said that I've been doing a good job and that the drivers I've worked with have had good things to say (and he said that when they say things it means a lot)...so cool, I'm glad that things are working out was well or better than I've thought they were.

~Matt

2 comments:

f8d90a said...

Glad to hear the job's going well, Matt. I'm excited for you to get your own place and own internet so you can begin posting these longer posts you've been talking about for awhile now ;-)

~Christopher

Matt said...

Oh...have I been talking about longer posts? Hmmm...I'll try for one now...