Friday, January 14, 2005

One More Step

Well I now officially own my van! :-) Yesterday my dad and I went down to Kenton county's second county courthouse (the rural, less busy one) and transferred title. The Sheriff's inspection of the vehicle cost $5.00 and registration (including the license plate) was only $25. :-) It definately would have been more in California! The sheriff asked me where in California I was from and I told him "two miles from Disneyland," figuring as I usually do that more people will understand that than saying "Garden Grove." However as he gave me a blank look I hurridly said, "LA, Southern California." It turns out that he was in the marines in the early fifties and was stationed at Camp Pendleton. He hasn't been out to California since so Disneyland doesn't really mean anything to him, but I'm surprised that he hasn't heard of it...

Everybody at the office was quite nice and the experience was nothing like a California DMV office with its very long lines and waits--it only took us a few minutes and a couple signatures to finalize the process. I need to go find a wrench so that I can go take off my California plates and put on my new Kentucky one (yeah, out here you just get one plate).

Oh, one more thing about yesterday. After I parked back here at the house my dad was walking in front of the van to get to the house when he looked down into the storm drain. Below him there were two huge balls of fur--two fat racoons! As I approached one uncurled himself and jumped down into the drain, presumably to move along its length to wherever he would get our or his den was. The other followed not long after.

Today I need to look through the classifieds and to start calling local school districts to ask what I need to do to sign up for substitute teaching. I'm going to go upstairs now to get dressed and get all that done.

~Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

getting dressed is overrated