Monday, May 16, 2005

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Well I just got home a bit ago--well actually a bit longer than a bit since I went downstairs to watch CSI in between the time I opened up this editing box and when I started typing. ;-) However it was for a good cause, CSI Miami had a good episode tonight--but then I do enjoy most of them. But, more importantly, back to the movie. I don't want to spoil it for those of you that haven't seen it, but I must say, er, type a few things.

1. You must stay through the credits. Just trust me on this one. If you don't you'll hear about what happens from someone else and you'll kick yourself. Heck, the chances are that you'll really hate yourself because you won't have a chance to see anything again until you rent or buy the DVD.

2. Don't Panic! a) Now it has been quite a while since I've read the book version of HHGttG, but I've listened to some of the radio drama somewhat recently. I really need to go back and finish that. I'm pretty sure that they made some somewhat drastic changes to parts of the movie (when compared with the book)--but I've said several times to my friends that this wouldn't matter too much to me. Douglas Adams originally created HHGttG as a radio drama for the BBC, then it was reincarnated in many forms including a television show, several novels, the recent movie, and more! IIRC Adams said that he didn't consider any version of the Guide authentic unless it contradicted each of the other versions, which was certainly true of those completed before he died.

2. b) Additionally I believe that the changes were done in the spirit of Adams' insane sense of humour and he himself did much of the work on the script before he died. Many times through the movie I would see something and laugh as I remembered it from the novel. The ravenous bug-blatter beast of Trall (sp?). Tea on the Heart of Gold. The pot of petunias. The fjords of Norway. The pan-galactic gargleblaster. But put your mind at ease--if this list means nothing to you then relax. You're obviously sane and these items will mean even less to you when you actually see the movie. :-)

3. There was an omniscient, semipresent narrator that added quite a bit to the movie. The book wouldn't be the same without all of the asides as Adams plumbed the depth of his imagination to furnish snippets of articles from the Guide. Furthermore having some of these snippets displayed visually only made them more enjoyable.

4. Marvin's shape was a bit of a shock, but the more I think about this manically-depressed robot the more I think that it is quite appropriate how cute and friendly he looks. Oh, and his voice is absolutely perfect, just what it should be like. Great line (apart from the continual depression somewhat reminiscent of Eeyore) "The restaurant is at the other end of the universe."

5. If they don't make this into a series I will be greatly disappointed!! I want the rest of my Guide fix!! :-)

Well that is all for now. Needless to say, if you enjoyed the book or any other version of the story then you simply must see this movie. And if you don't enjoy it then something is obviously wrong with your sense of humour. Please go procure a new one.

~Matt

PS 6. So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!

No comments: