Wednesday, May 25, 2005

William Howard Taft

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
As I mentioned earlier my nephew and I went to the birthplace and childhood home of William Howard Taft, 27th President of the United States and 10th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, the only person in our nation's history to hold both positions. It was a fascinating tour and I learned many things about the man. Not only did he hold the two positions above but he also served as Secretary of War, Governor General of the Philippines, Solicitor General of the United States (the official responsible for arguing the government's cases before the Supreme Court) as well as several judgeships. He was in public service for about fifty years of his life, only retiring from the Court (his dream job) a month before his death in 1930.

I'm definately going to be planning further historic trips around the region--perhaps to other historic houses in the area (though they're all private museums charging admission) or places like Kentucky's State Park at Big Bone Lick or the small Kentucky town of Rabbit Hash on the Ohio River (see this article for more information or search Google). Then whenever I manage to find myself a full-time position where I can eventually get vacation time I plan to start taking trips to places a bit further away like D.C., Civil War battlefields, and other historic places.

~Matt

2 comments:

Mark Baker said...

I wish we had more US History around us in Southern CA. That's one of the only things I don't like about living here. Still, you can have the winters.

Matt said...

Just think, out here you could drive to DC, or Gettysburg. Think about it! :-) The winters really aren't that bad.