Wednesday, June 08, 2005

In Which Mark Takes the Fall (again)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Okay, thanks to Mark I'll join him in his answering. First we'll start off with word association in which I'll try to forget the couple of Mark's answers that I saw. :-) Thanks to LunaNiƱa for the original list.

  1. Exhibit:: Monkey King
  2. Evolution:: Theory
  3. Loser:: Winner
  4. Hypnotic:: Watch
  5. Unlikely:: Event
  6. Interrupt:: -ing cow
  7. Ambivalent:: Whatever
  8. Rise and fall:: of the Roman Empire
  9. Indian:: Sioux
  10. Prophecy:: Book of Daniel


Okay, now to the odious book questions that Mark has forced me to answer.

How Many Books Do You Own?
Well the grand total is probably up to 1,300 to 1,400 by now, considering all of the books I've bought used since I moved to Kentucky. I know that my "adult" (no not by rating but by virtue of not being written for children) collection numbers at least 1,000 and I have a couple hundred kids books. Except for my Hardy Boys collection all of my kids books are still at my parent's house while all of my other books (except for a few I have out to read) are in my storage unit. And yes, moving books is HARD work, ;-). I've lugged boxes back and forth to college for years.

What is the Last Book You Bought?
Well I believe that would be my pre-order of the third book in the latest trilogy from Terry Brooks (yes I deliberately worded that to avoid using a possessive on an s word, :-)): Straken (High Druid of Shannara, Book 3). The last one I've actually recieved is my order of the first of that series from one of Amazon's fine used retailers is the first book in that trilogy: Jarka Ruus. I've read the first two, but if I'm preordering the third I have to have the first two in hardcover to go with it, right? :-) But they were both cheap.

What is the Last Book You Read?
Well I'm currently in the middle of more books than I can shake a stick at, but I do know what one I finished last. I think. No, I do know. :-) Conquerors' Heritage is the second in a wonderful trilogy by Timothy Zahn. If you enjoy good sci-fi you must check out Timothy Zahn. I especially reccomend The Icarus Hunt (*whispers* You mystery nuts should enjoy it too. There isn't any bad technobabble, just a good sci-fi mystery).

Name five books that mean a lot to you.
Like Mark the Bible would have to be on that list, so I'll copy him and not include it, ;-).

The Hunt for Red October was the first Tom Clancy novel that I read (I watched the movie first) and the book that really got me started on modern thriller novels and other similar books (like Grisham's novels). Oh yeah, and the movie soundtrack is awesome! Oh yeah, and the book is a good Jack Ryan novel and a fun book all around.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer - Oh, this one is wonderful! Though if you love World War II history buy a good hardcover edition, perhaps a library bound one if you can find it. I've had to purchase a second copy as the cover on my first one isn't doing so hot. One summer I was in an antique store with my parents (in Michigan I believe) when I saw the tome on sale for $10.00 (sure by my later standards that was a lot, but what did I know then). I purchased the book and put down everything else I was reading to devour it from cover to cover. It was wonderfully researched and the author had lived through many of the events he described as an American radio correspondent in Berlin. I really cannot recomend this book highly enough to anyone who appreciates history.

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien - If I didn't have this on my list I wouldn't be me. Sci-fi and fantasy are my two favourite fiction loves, and this is the first fantasy I really read (after the Hobbit and perhaps Narnia) and still my favourite.

Hammond's Atlas of the [Various] - Okay, this isn't just one book--but my first Hammond Atlas was the start of a beautiful tradition. These are the most enjoyable atlases that I've found, and I have at least seven to ten of them, including a 1939 beauty that still shows the pre-war Japanese empire with the "independent" nation of Manchouko.

Foundation by Isaac Asimov - Ah yes, what Lord of the Rings did for me with fantasy this trilogy did for me with Sci-fi. Sure it isn't the same quality as LotR, but it is great nonetheless. And it was my first marvelous introduction into the Asmovian universe. I took off running through Asimov and on to Bradbury, Clarke, and others--though often taking another look at the author I consider my favourite Grandmaster of Science Fiction.

Okay, was that enough Mark? ;-)

~Matt

6 comments:

f8d90a said...

I got to you spelling winner as "winer" and had to comment, seeing as it's 1am and I just had to ask... I'm assuming you meant winner... but just on the off chance that you meant winer, what was the relationship?

~Christopher

Matt said...

Ah, blast. Thanks for the catch. I did mean to type winner. :)

f8d90a said...

I'm surprised to admit that you probably aren't exagerrating at all on that 1300+ book count :-/

That's probably at least $1000 worth of books. How much do you think the whole collection is worth?

~Christopher

f8d90a said...

oh, and by worth, I meant how much you could actually sell them for... so $1000 was on the low end, but I didn't mean purchasing price of each. I figured you probably got quite a few for a quarter or two ;-)

~Christopher

Mark Baker said...

I'm beginning to think my book count is low. :)

Ok, I just don't get the post title. Care to enlighten me?

Matt said...

I used the title just because I blamed you for the content of the post. :-)

As to your question Chris I'm sure that many of the hardcovers I bought for a dollar I could sell for at least 5-6 on Amazon--perhaps some even higher. As to the total value I really have no idea.

~Matt