Friday, September 02, 2005

Howling good questions

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thanks to the Back Porch! No personal data in this post, but hopefully more tonight after I return from work.

::Timber Wolves of the North::

Onesome: Timber Wolves-- What do you think about collectables? Do you have any geegaws like wolves or dragons or crystals or tea cups and such hanging around the place? ...or maybe on your back in the form of a shirt or jacket? Oh, I enjoy them. I have a small wolf figurine, and I wish I had more. I enjoy such things on my bookshelves, which are usually wide enough to have some things on the shelf in front of the books. I also really like wolf clothing--yeah, can you tell by anything around here that I like wolves? :-D I also like dragons, but it is hard to find well drawn (and to my taste) dragon stuff that isn't really expensive. Though I do have a couple very nice prints from Michael Whelan, an excellent artist who does quite a bit of book cover art, especially dragons.

Addendum (after reading Mark's post--thanks for the mention, btw, ;-)): I also collect books, like Mark, and I have a personal library of between 1,200-1,500 I think--but most are in storage so I don't have a real accurate count. I have a couple "collectible" volumes in that they were signed by the author. Here is one--I purchased it at Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas on my last trip with Mark. Other than that I do have some old volumes, including some from the mid-1800s, :-). I purchased some on eBay and some at book sales. These are some of my favourites, especially old atlases and geography books.

Twosome: of the -- Speaking of the clothes on your back, what is your favorite 'lounge around' stuff? You know, the type of thing you put on to eat ice cream and watch an old movie? Ah, this is quite easy--just jeans and a T-shirt. Of course at some point I started tucking my shirts in. Oh, and they have to be cargo pants so I can have pens in the right hand pocket and my wallet in the left, ;-). I don't like wearing things without pockets. *shudder*

Threesome: North-- What's "North" to you? Is it the Mason-Dixon line? ...the Canadian border? ...the Arctic Circle (for Mary) ...or something a little less defined? ...and how far "North" have you been? I've been to the Canadian national parks of Jasper and Banff--that is about as far north. That summer we went through the American Glacier, Canadian Waterton, Jasper, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier, and Revelstoke and then swung down through Vancouver, Washington and Oregon. I think we also stopped by the coastal Redwoods on the way home. Anyway, north is way up there. I've traveled and read quite a bit so something like say Ohio is just a bit up there, it isn't really true north. Alaska, Siberia, Scandanavia, and the Canadian Artic are North. :-)

~Matt

6 comments:

Qalmlea said...

Peña has some very nice collectible dragon figurines. Price range? Well, it keeps going up. Probably $40 on up, and the larger they are, the more expensive. My smallest one is about the size of my fist (it was $25 ten years ago), and the largest one I've seen is close to two feet tall. I didn't even look at the price on that one.

I agree, though, most dragon art leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also quite picky about wolf art and figurines. :-)

Becky said...

North is towards where my dad grew up, I love it up there. Sometimes, though, like when we are traveling, I get pretty confused and lose north. I hate it when that happens. I know. Check out the sun's path and it will all come back to me.

Qalmlea said...

When I lived in Colorado, it was easy. The mountains are west. So it drives me nuts to drive down to Salt Lake with the mountains on the east.

Matt said...

lol...I love Colorado--but we were usually in Grand Junction so the mountains were to the east, ;-).

Thanks qalmlea, :-).

f8d90a said...

I think I'm all caught up now. I had to read a few posts ;-)

Ever think you'd be a more frequent blogger than me?

~Christopher

Matt said...

No I can't say that the thought every really crossed my mind, ;-). I'm glad you're caught up, :-).