Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Job Searching

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate looking for work? Well on the off chance that I haven't, I'll say it again--I hate the process!! Yes, I know part of it is my fault for not going through with a teaching credential, because I'd not really prepared myself for anything else. But I still wish that the whole process was just a bit easier. Searching through endless lists and applying again and again...all for a very low rate of return. I actually never had any solid leads my last time searching (before I started work at the museum in March) except for the Museum. Well there was one position in Covington with the city that I was going to take a test for--but I dropped that when I was hired at the museum. I've wondered how I would have done--I think it was a typing test with perhaps a bit more. *sigh*

Well I think that I mentioned applying for a position with WesternSouthern. It is full-time with benefits, but doesn't have the greatest pay. However, I'm scheduled to go in for an interview on Thursday. I think at this point that my plans are to land whatever kind of non temporary (even if part-time) job that I can and treat it as temporary. I know that seems like a contradiction, but let me explain. My problem during the last year is that I didn't look beyond the museum (except for my UPS job in December). I just kept going from special exhibit to special exhibit, when none of them paid enough for me to live on my own. This job at WesternSouthern won't pay that much either--but it is full-time. What I need right now is a steady source of income so that I can turn back quite a bit of it into savings while looking continually for a better job.

I would never say that my years at Master's were a waste, but the student loan payments are a bit of a burden now when my degree didn't segue right into a job after all. But again, that was my decision, and now I have to live with it and make things work. But of course that involves job searching...*sigh* I'll just have to keep going. Unless I find something really good I think I'll be searching for the next few months, even if I land something in the meantime. Actually, though I've applied to the History Museum in a way I don't want the job. I guess that I would take it if I had to, but that would involve giving up evening events and it would only be something I'd hold down while looking for something to pay better (unless it pays quite a bit more than the similar position in Natural History, and I doubt that it does). At this point I think I'd rather find a temporary full-time position elsewhere so that I can keep doing Evening Events and be involved at the museum.

~Matt Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Joel said...

Interesting thought. I think it was tough for me for some odd reason to have found a job right after master's, at least one that would support me right away. I took my old job at a daycare for a while. I kind of think it was not a good decision for me to not have gotten my credential at the same time. WE all make choices, and they affect us. I hope you one of the two jobs opens up for you.