Sunday, April 09, 2006

Utterly disgusting

I've never been too tempted to smoke. I think it has something to do with all of the education as a kid about the evils of smoking, my parents, and how nasty cigarette smoke smells (those aren't necessarily listed in order of importance). Well what I had to do today didn't give me any reason to change my mind.

As you walk up to the outer doors of bigg's (for you California readers places in cold weather country have two sets of doors so you don't open up the warm inside to freezing blasts of cold air everytime somebody enters or exits) you will see signs on the doors notifying you that no smoking is permitted inside. Of course many people walk up to the doors with lit cigarettes, desparate to get in those last few puffs before they must enter the smoke free store. Instead of just expecting people to drop their cigarettes on the ground (though sadly many do--Have I ever mentioned that working with the general public day in and day out does more to support my belief in human depravity than anything else besides the Bible?) bigg's has provided containers where cigarettes may be safely disposed of.

They look like large board game pieces (like pawns from the game Sorry!). Near the top of the central pole is a hole through which the smokers drop their cigarettes. The cigarettes fall down the shaft into the bottom of the container which flares out into an open space perhaps sixteen inches in diameter. This area consists of a plastic bottom (similar to the top piece) containing a metal tub. The metal bucket is filled with water so that lit cigarettes are extinguished when they fall in. Well one of the more onerous duties which is incumbent upon housekeeping/carts staff to perform is the emptying of these containers.

In preparation one of the other staff and I each donned two latex gloves on each hand. Then after removing the top piece we used a wad of paper towel as further insulation before grabbing the handle of the metal tub and tipping the contents into a trash container. The smell from these metal tubs was as far as I can recall the most vile odor that my olfactory nerves have ever had the misfortune to encounter. I would rather spend all day in 100 degree weather in a well used cow pasture than spend five more minutes with that smell. As the other employee pushed the trash container in front of the store so we could go to the other door I very deliberately walked in front of him, upwind! *shudder* I only hope that I don't have to be involved in this process again while I'm employeed at bigg's. If I never smell that noxious odor again it will be far too soon!!

~Matt

6 comments:

Becky said...

You have obviously never had the pleasure of driving behind the truck that transports dead animals to wherever they take dead animals. Critter death smells far worse than botanical death.

Also, you should visit a home downwind from a pig farm, now that is an adventure for the nose!

Matt said...

I'll admit that I haven't smelled dead animals. However I have driven past pig stockyards many times in California. They definately smell worse than a convention of well-used outhouses. Cattle stockyards or dairy farms don't smell anywhere near as bad.

Julie said...

Wait... stores in California don't have both sets of doors? That's really strange ;). And i'm sorry about the smell. I think i'd prefer good clean animal smell to filthy people stenches anytime.

~ Julie

Matt said...

Not in Southern California. 'Tis no need with winter temperatures never really going below freezing. Heck, most Southern Californians couldn't venture out of the house if it started snowing somehow--so the double doors aren't really necessary at all! :-)

Becky said...

I was talking to my honey about your blog and he said that he thinks that was probably a terrible smell indeed. Its just that I was trapped in traffic behind the dead animal truck one time and it was a horrible experience.

I just remembered: one time, when I was working at a potato processing plant, in receiving, we had a truck of slimy, rotten potatoes come through...for processing. It was a horrible smell and lasted long after the potatoes were gone and the place was thoroughly hosed down; so, I suppose I should acknowledge the horrors of botanical death as well.

Note: I believe they turned those little demonic tubers into starch and were added to Jello or some other boxed delight. Bon Appetit!

Matt said...

It is amazing what modern science can do with things--half of them are better unknown or many products would never sell. :-)

So how long were you trapped behind that wonderfully aromatic vehicle?