Wednesday, April 19, 2006

What can I say?

Well work is going along. Today was a much better day than I've had recently. I was the only housekeeping/carts employe in today from 09:00 until 14:00. However, we weren't very busy so I was able to split my time effectively betwen inside and out. Even with my breaks things never got bad at all out in the lot. I wasn't tired or worn out at all when I went home at five. I was ready to go home, but just because it was the end of the work day, not because I was eager to leave work completely behind.

As the title suggests there really isn't too much else to say. I don't feel like finding pictures to upload tonight, so I'll just leave it as this. Oh, and I'm not planning to institute a regular update in the AM and PM--it just so happened that way today. I count posts based on calendar days, not my sleep cycle. Therefore the last post, though during my last awake period was technically made today since it was after midnight and for purposes of posting every day counts for Wednesday. I simply post tonight because I'm pathetic and must post now! ;-)

Oh, oh, I have more! I know everybody must be so eager. Either that or they're thinking that I should shut up already, boring everybody with so much text to either digest or ignore! :-) Well I was disappointed with television tonight. Lost was not on, so I was forced to substitutes. I joined Bones about four minutes after the hour, so I got the gist of the episode but completely missed what happened before the first commercial. It was an interesting episode, set in post-Katrina New Orleans, but it had quite a bit of vodoo in it. Temperance, the main character, is a scientist who rejects the "magic" of vodoo, but of course she believes she is truly objective instead of worshipping science instead of a "traditional religion." *sigh* I can live with that, what more do you expect from humanistic culture?

Criminal Minds was fascinating. The BAU team followed a serial killer who was expert at changing his appearance across the South. It actually seemed as though they tried to compress too much into the forty minutes of the show. The plot would have been interesting, with tweaking of course, as a movie methinks. *shrugs*

~Matt

PS I was wrong earlier about Lincoln currently being the only one on the front and back of a coin. Washington has already made an appearance on the reverse of a state quarter. The back of the New Jersey quarter shows the painting of Washington crossing the Delaware--so with the South Dakota there will be three coins to fit the criteria.

3 comments:

Qalmlea said...

Science itself is not a religion. It's a process, a method. There are people who turn it into a religion, most commonly by the fallacy "lack of evidence for" = "evidence against".

Incidentally, if this tv scientist were truly objective, she would subject the vaudun claims to investigation, rather than dismiss them out of hand. Or look up studies that had already been done. However, disimissing it out of hand is more an indication of the typical western superiority complex (poor primitive natives; they don't know anything) than it is of a religious tendency.

Mark Baker said...

Yeah, Lost wasn't on. Because we got two hours of Alias goodness. And there is so much rejoicing!

And next week is a "here's the season to date" episode, so I can skip that and watch my tape of Amazing Race.

Matt said...

Qalmlea, I would agree that science is not a religion. Properly understood science is about repeatable experiments and observations of the natural world. However, many people approach science with the view that it is inseperably tied with atheistic humanism.

I am a Christian, I believe in the God of the Bible, the one true God ruling over everything. However, I recognize that there are those out there that believe differently. I believe they are wrong, but it is their right to believe what they do. As far as science goes though I believe that it will complement and work alongside the Bible. The Bible isn't a science textbook (which are made by fallible humans and always subject to revision) but it is right where science is concerned. Many scientists however start from the point that God cannot possibly be real and that true scientists cannot possibly believe in God. This is what I refer to. Humanism and atheism aren't neutral, they are as much religions as Christianity, Islam, or Hinduism.

Mark, I'm sorry, I gave up on Alias a while ago. *shrugs* It was too corny for me, starting with the many familial relationships in the agency, yet never any worries about conflicts of interest. But whatever, you watch Alias and I'll get Enterprise on DVD someday. :-)

I forgot that next week was a clip show. Works well for me as I have a museum event that night!