Monday, June 26, 2006

The New World

Well, this was the second film I've rented from Redbox. It isn't the best. The film wasn't bad, but it was not at all what I expected. I expected a plot--but there was none to be found.

Dialogue is scarce--most consists of voiceovers from John Smith, Pocahontas, and John Rolfe. There is no conflict or resolution, or any other traditional literary features that I could detect. Basically the movie consists of the life of Pocahontas (at least partially fictionalized) from the time English settlers land at Jamestown. *shrugs* Perhaps if I'd known what it was at first I would have enjoyed it more--but for now all I can say is that it was not my cup of tea.

Visually the film was beautiful. Apparently it was all shot with natural light, and some magnificant shots were captured. However, the fact that the majority of the film has no dialogue somewhat detracts from this visual delight. I prefer movies to have a plot that engages me--and this is entirely possible within a historical framework. This time, I don't know what happened...

~Matt

No comments: