Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday America!

This isn't exactly the country all of the Founders imagined, but I figure they had good imaginations. We may have modern taxes and laws that would probably have many spinning in their graves (Jefferson probably spinning faster than Hamilton). (My political studies advisor said we could solve any energy crisis by hooking generators up to all of the Founding Fathers spinning in their graves!) Nonetheless I think that we haven't done too bad as the longest lasting republican (the form of government, not the party!) experiment. It isn't the best system imaginable--just the best one tried thus far (except where God steps in and rules directly--obviously the best system).

Yes this post is full of caveats and explanations--but I'm still a patriot. I'm red, white, and blue. Happy Birthday America! You are two hundred thirty years young and if the Lord tarries I hope you live at least as many more!

I particularly like the "Don't Tread on Me" flag--which is the current Naval Jack for the "duration of the War on Terror." It strikes a very good pose for the military methinks. Of course the circle flag of stars below has to be my second favourite American flag (or my first? I'm not sure). It is such a great design.

~Matt

3 comments:

kate said...

Your background is quite appropriate for such a day as this. (:

kate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt said...

Thanks. I hadn't even thought about that.