Sunday, July 09, 2006

Still

reading Don Quixote am I. I enjoy older books, but most that I read are nonfiction. I never imagined that I would enjoy a 400 year old book so much. It is quite readable, and once you get past the differences in story construction it is fun. It is the first modern novel, completely unlike the stories that preceeded it. Unfortunately I only have Part I, but I might eventually find a copy of Part II--hopefully in the same edition as this one. I definately don't want one that is more modernized, abridged, or edited.

The copy I'm reading may not be perfect, but it is close enough for me. It is early twentieth century (nearly as good as nineteenth century for readibility) and formatted quite differently than a modern volume. To some extent I started reading the book because I was curious, and so that I could force my way through and say that I'd read the first modern novel. By this point I'm not forcing myself to read in the least, I am genuinely enjoying the book and I want to see what happens next!

~Matt

2 comments:

Becky said...

I loved that book. I found it completely delightful! And I don't think we're the only ones...in Eldest(Christopher Paolini), there is a place where Orik is speaking to Eragon and informs him that it is (or was) a dolorous night. How can that not be a veiled reference to knowledge of Don Quixote?

Matt said...

I hadn't noticed that Aunt Bee. Thanks for pointing it out. 'Tis great.