Saturday, July 29, 2006

Thought for the day

I am rereading The Hobbit, in a newly acquired edition. The book is hardcover with a recreation of Tolkien's original dust jacket (his illustration) and containing all the text of the revised edition. I'm going slowly, so as to enjoy the experience.

At the point where I am reading currently Bilbo and the dwarves have just arrived at Elrond's Last Homely House. I thought the following words especially profound and true in the context of most stories:
"Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may take a good tale, and take a good deal of telling anyway."
The only major exception I can think of off hand are the Redwall novels by Brian Jacques where he takes time to describe each and every feast and meal of which his characters partake. Otherwise, for the most part, good times are described briefly in many tales and books while times of danger, peril, and horror go one for pages and pages.

~Matt

3 comments:

kate said...

This is, indeed, a valid point, the exceptions being dialogue-centered books like, say, Jane Austen.

Matt said...

I haven't yet read any Jane Austen--I haven't quite gotten up my nerve, ;-). I plan to read many classics someday, but I'm working my way up to it. :-)

Fibonacci said...

I recently finished Three Musketeers and have started Great Expectations.