Sunday, September 03, 2006

Honesty pays

(besides being the right thing to do)

Today I found a purse while I was bringing in shopping carts. I saw that it had a cell phone in a side pocket and was quite full. I immediately stopped what I was doing and took the purse inside. I handed it to the cashier at the customer service desk as he said "I don't want it." I told him about the cell phone and said that somebody would probably want it. Then I went back to work and didn't think about it again.

A few minutes later I was pulling carts in right by the door when a woman walked out of the store. She was carrying the purse and came up to me. She asked me if I was the one who had turned the purse in. When I told her yes she extended her hand with a twenty dollar bill! I tried to say that she didn't have to do that, but she insisted that I take it--thanking me for being honest. I said that she was welcome and she walked off. I guess I was being honest, but it never really crossed my mind to do anything with the purse but turn it in. I guess I have to blame my parents for not instilling larcenous tendencies into my mind! Darn them, ;-).

~Matt

No comments: