Friday, September 01, 2006

Hurricanes

I just found the naming list for the 2006 Hurricane season--it makes for interesting reading. Here it is with editorial/association comments. :-)

1. Alberto, Gonzales? Wow, I didn't know the Attorney General was that powerful
2. Beryl--is it must me or is this an old name? Or is it in vogue once again?
3. Chris--I don't think this one turned into anything, too bad Chris, that could have been interesting.
4. Debby, a fairly common name methinks, short for Debra most likely.
5. Ernesto--this is ongoing now I think, about to make landfall? Or just did?

6. Florence--I work in Florence, Kentucky.
7. Gordon--I just recently rewatched Batman Begins--Gordon was an interesting character. I'm looking forward to the sequel
8. Helene--almost the name of the face that launched a thousand ships. Hopefully it won't sink a thousand ships.
9. Isaac, Asimov? One of the best grandmasters of science-fiction. I still enjoy his stories today, even the older obviously outdated ones. Oh, and if you haven't read them you should check out his mysteries--the Black Widower story collections. I need to track them all down sometime. I don't think the local library has them and I've not yet read them all.
10. Joyce, James Joyce. A British author, right? I've never read his works, just heard of him.

11. Kirk, "Khhhhhhhhaaaaaannnnnnn!" Need I say any more?
12. Leslie--this one is both a male and female name, but obviously female here in this rotation.
13. Michael--Stackpole is one of the sci-fi authors that I frequently enjoy reading.
14. Nadine--I don't think I've ever known anyone with this name--but it seems slightly familiar.
15. Oscar, Mayer! My bologna has a first name! ;-)

16. Patty, Peppermint Patty--I don't like mint, but I can still enjoy this character in Peanuts
17. Rafael, oh, oh, he was one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, right?
18. Sandy, the valedictorian at my high school was named Sandy--though she was Vietnamese.
19. Tony, the Tiger! Does anybody not remember his advertisments? "They're Grrrrrreat!"
20. Valerie, Plame. Mark's favourite person!

21. William, Tell me, have you heard tell of the famous Swiss archer William Tell?

~Matt

1 comment:

kate said...

I missed out on the whole Ninja Turtles thing somehow. It's like missing out on pogs or slinkies.

I'm scarred.
;P