Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Old Friends

It was a great experience to unpack many of my books. I kept running across some dear old friends--like my 1941 edition of Mien Kampf, or The Lord of the Rings. I simply cannot wait until all of my bookcases have been assembled (and I've procured a few more, ;-)) and I can properly organize my books. I think that I might organize them alphabetically by author--but then by series for each author.

If nothing else I'll have the genres separated. I figure that at least four categories would be good: fantasy, science-fiction, non-fiction, other fiction. I think I will box up the few kids books I have if I don't have room for them. What I have my nephew has already picked through, and the younger kids aren't quite ready to read those books yet.

I really cannot describe the sensation, but touching and seeing familiar books after a couple years of absence really is like a reunion. I was surprised at how many of the books were so familiar. I may not have seen them in two years, but I still remember them (at least when I see them). I'm already re-reading The Paradise War which I fount on Sunday (or Saturday?) as I was taking boxes from my storage unit. I just need to remember to sleep.

~Matt

No comments: