Thursday, November 30, 2006

809 Area Code

Communications Dominican Republic
international: country code - 1-809; 1 coaxial submarine cable; satellite earth station

As far as I know I do not know anybody in the Dominican Republic, but apparently someone there tried to call me last night. I was at bigg's, so I didn't answer the phone. I looked down at my phone when it first rang and was quite surprised to see that I thought it said "Dominican Republic." At first I couldn't believe this, so when I had a free minute I called Chris and asked him to look up the area code 809. He asked my why after he'd run a search and I was curious. "Because someone called me from there," I responded hesitantly.

Then he proceeded to briefly explain the "809 Area Code scam" which he found when entering that area code into Google. See, one of the reasons I had been worried was that my dad called in the middle of several of these 809 calls and left a message, but I thought that this other caller might have left a message as well (until you check it my voicemail doesn't identify how many messages have been left). Thankfully there was only a message from my father.

However, the 809 caller called back several times. I'm not sure exactly what they wanted, but I cannot think that it was anything good. Not that many people have my cell phone number, and I don't know anyone who would call me from the Dominican Republic. Though, if it was part of an attempted scam I'm curious as to why they didn't leave a message and try to get me to call back. Regardless though I'm not going to call the number back--perhaps that is all they wanted, curiosity about a strange number. *shrugs*

~Matt
--
"A room without books is as a body without a soul." -Cicero

No comments: