Sunday, November 19, 2006

Culture Fest

One of my people in Evening Events was promoted at her main job and as a result was sent on a business trip this weekend. She found a replacement for the event on Friday (where I supervised), but couldn't find anyone today. As a result I took her place and helped out during the Museum's Latin American Culture Fest.

Each Culture Fest is a weekend long and involves various vendors and performers
occupying spaces in the building's Rotunda. I moved around between several different positions relieving volunteers and filling in where necessary. When I was in the crafts area I made my own paper bag piƱata and also the two other crafts. Sure, I'm not a kid, but I like making things that I'm involved in helping others play.

Right now I'm also trying to staff other events at the museum--it isn't all going well. I'm really short for some nights--but I think that some details are coming together. On the second (of December) I will be at the museum from about nine in the morning until probably midnight.
I'll also be making some last minute decisions on the fly that night as to where certain people are stationed. I hope that my boss will have hired a third supervisor by that point, but I'm not holding my breath. I think of it as a critical priority, but he might not because he will soon have two exhibits as well as a third starting soon and his other duties (such as birthday parties). I think things will end up okay, but it is somewhat frustrating having to wait while things come together.

~Matt

No comments: