Wednesday, December 20, 2006

O Movie, I Found Thee!

The music was great--who doesn't like the Soggy Bottom Boys? The characters were fascinating--I've never seen Clooney quite like this. (I think that Everett's wife is also Mrs. Incredible--she sure sounds the same--Edit: yes, she is)

One warning, DON'T SEE SPOILERS!! I didn't watch the movie preview until after I was done watching, and I was quite glad. I'd only known about the film from mentions by fellow students in college (never anything specific) and soundtrack songs that I'd heard.

The preview gives away too much about the movie, so ignore it if you've not seen it, and try to forget it if you have. Other than that definitely go and enjoy this loose "adaptation" of the Odyssey set in Depression Era Mississippi (or is it Alabama?). Ulysses Everett McGill and two other prisoners (initially chained together) Pete and Delmar escape from their chain gang in search of treasure. Yes, that is them escaping on the cover image.

Also as I mention above the music is great. Man of Constant Sorrow is quite well done and along with a few other tracks is a highlight of the film. One item I didn't notice until watching extras was that the colours had been altered. You may notice that most scenes are somewhat brown and dry or sepia toned. This is intended to evoke thoughts of the Dust Bowl era setting. Apparently all of the editing was done digitally and then turned back into film for distribution. The behind-the-scenes talking heads seemed to imply this was the first movie for which this was done. I'm not sure (it was released in 2000), but whatever the case they did a great job. Especially view this section on the Extras if you get the DVD.

~Matt


powered by performancing firefox

No comments: