Friday, January 05, 2007

I was hoping this would happen

San Francisco (IDGNS) - LG Electronics plans to shortly put on sale a
high-definition video disc player compatible with both the HD DVD and
Blu-ray Disc standards, it said Thursday.



The player will be unveiled at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in
Las Vegas and will go on sale in the U.S. in early 2007, LG said.

I haven't paid much attention to the battle between the high-def formats, all I know is that they're both pretty pricey right now. If these combo drives become more popular though, then it won't matter. It won't have to be like the video-format war where there was a winner (VHS) and loser (Betamax)--and I've heard that in some ways Betamax was the better format.



As everything seems to be racing full-speed ahead I think that the time is definitely ripe for high-def discs, though undoubtedly within a short time we'll want even more. I'm waiting for flash drives or something similar that can't scratch to be developed. CDs and DVDs are okay, but they can easily be damaged. VHS cases are a bit more durable, but are susceptible to degradation from use and aren't as high quality. Something that bridges the convenience and storage of discs and protective case of VHS is needed.



~Matt





powered by performancing firefox

2 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Frankly, I hope both formats bomb. With as much as I have invested in DVD's, I don't want to have to replace them all on some new format for years and years.

Matt said...

That shouldn't be a problem as the drives will be backwards compatible. They'll play standard DVDs. The only thing is that new TV seasons may be released either in higher quality or on fewer discs.

~Matt