Sunday, July 15, 2007

On Target

I am currently meeting my goals, okay not all of them, but one in particular I have met thus far.  I started re-reading the Harry Potter series two days ago after work.  That first evening I finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  Yesterday I finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  Finally a minute ago I finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  Now after this point the books are a bit bigger, so I'm not planning to finish them in one night.  The only problem is that I'm afraid that I might finish before I can get my hands on book seven.

I don't want to cut things any closer, because I don't want to overshoot the deadline either though.  It is a tough dilemma.  Right now I'm going to go start on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as a way of distracting myself from the problem, ;-).  But before I go I do want to leave you with the closing paragraphs from book three.  I love reading such quality humour. I  was laughing (or at least chuckling) out loud as I reread this passage.

"What's that?" [Uncle Vernon] snarled, staring at the envelope Harry was still clutching in his hand.  "If it's another form for me to sign, you've got another--"

"It's not," said Harry cheerfully.  "It's a letter from my godfather."

"Godfather?" spluttered Uncle Vernon.  "You haven't got a godfather!"

"Yes, I have," said Harry brightly.  "He was my mum and dad's best friend.  He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run.  He likes to keep in touch with me though...keep up with my news...check if I'm happy...."

And, grinning broadly at the look of horror on Uncle Vernon's face, Harry set off toward the station exit, Hedwig rattling along in front of him, for what looked like a much better summer than the last.
I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed these books.  Even when I'm re-reading them for the second time and I know everything major that happens, I'm still thoroughly enjoying the ride.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to say that all the way through Half-Blood Prince, but I'll try.  ;-)

~Matt

--
"A room without books is as a body without a soul." -Cicero

No comments: