Thursday, April 23, 2009

Scenic Dollywood

These were some of the largest windchimes that I've ever seen, just outside a blacksmith's shop in the Craftsmen area of Dollywood (no, I refuse to call it Craftsperson even if somebody else does). I'm happy the shot turned out as well as it did because I only took one from this perspective.












Dollywood has a historic steam engine for which they've laid out a section of track and an interesting route. The train goes through some natural woods on the property, and while you do see some behind the scenes areas several other natural areas are decorated with replicas of historic buildings or scenes like a hobos campfire, a mountain still, etc... The engine came from Alaska and is known as "Klondike Katie."

At one point the engineer blew the whistle for a couple of minutes, releasing me smoke than normal. As my part of the train came past the area where he'd started I grabbed this (and a couple of other shots) of the sun coming through the smoke.






I have been trying to get pictures of the Dogwood trees ever since I've arrived in the area, but this is one of my favorites. I like the juxtaposition of the white flowers against the red leaves of the other tree.







~Matt

PS This has been fun posting more often. I really need to get back in this habit when I get back from vacation.

3 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Yes, you do need to get back in that habit.

Anonymous said...

Yes,I agree that you need to post more often. That is the main way I know what goes on in my little brothers life!

Have fun with Mom and Dad.

Cheryl

Matt said...

Well I'll do the best I can. Leaving comments helps to spur me on to posting... ;-) Thanks.