Saturday, September 12, 2009

Book Sale

Now if I'd read a blog title like this one I'd be drooling already. And it almost happened that way anyway... I was off on Thursday and actually stayed home (that is I didn't go to the Creation Museum at all). In the afternoon I saw that a friend updated their status to say they were going to a booksale. Immediately my interest was piqued. I looked up the location of the library, realized it wasn't that far (far is relative anyway when you're talking about cheap books!). I quickly went over to my sister's place, recruited a couple of nerfs for slave labor...I mean so they could browse books for themselves and their siblings, and took off.

I ended up spending $17. I procured somewhere between two and three dozen books, including at least a dozen for the nerfs. You can see a 2008 Hammond Atlas here--I have many Hammond Atlases from different time periods in the twentieth century, this is now my newest. I found an 1800s edition of Ben Hur that matches my edition of another of his books. I did mistakenly buy two history books I already had--but they were just fifty cents, and one was nicer than the edition I had already...

I love library sales!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Becky Schell said...

"The Man Who Used the Universe" sounds scary! I see you picked up a companion to Disc World. At the last book sale I went to I got a very old book with the original Pinocchio and Aesop's Fables. I love that story of Pinocchio. I read it to Kate when she was still at home and she hated it; silly girl.

Matt said...

Yeah...the universe book looks like an interesting story. I've found many new authors by sampling their books from library sales.

Ohh...I almost bought an old Grimm's Brothers book, but it wasn't actually the original stories, just an old book with the current (sanitized) versions.

And I bought a 100 year old math book for my roommate--Miah would have loved this book also. It is amazing how much they taught kids (it is a sixth grade book) and how well they did it.

Becky Schell said...

What is the name of the math book. I actually used Ray's Arithmetic for Jeremiah and Kate through grade school. Love those books.

Matt said...

Complete Arithmetic, by Samuel Hamilton, Ph.D. Superintendent of Schools, Allegheny County, PA and author of "The Recitation"

It was published by the American Book Company (many, many of my old books were published by them--where they that prolific, have their books lasted longer, or are there just more in this area?) in 1909

Becky Schell said...

I have never heard of it (I am just over 1/2 a hundred). You could be right about there being a lot in your area. Sweet find though; I love old books.