Friday, October 16, 2009

Who is buried in Grant's tomb?

The answer is of course US Grant. Yesterday I saw the house where Grant was born. On our way to the Rankin House we saw a sign for Grant's birthplace. Therefore as the driver, I made sure we stopped on the way back.



It wasn't a big house. It is bigger now than when the Grants rented it.



More signs. Front



and back.



We first grabbed some pictures outside and werent sure we would go in.



The "tour" didn't take long, but it was worth the couple of bucks that it cost. I need to go back and visit his boyhood home in nearby Georgetown sometime.



This room was the entire house. I apologize for the dimnesd, but I forgot my camera and only had my iPhone to take pictures.

I loved the fact that two real candles were burning in the place.



Here the docent was explaining one of the lamps. Several of the items belonged to the Grants, and the rest were period pieces.



I walked around a bit outside and grabbed some shots with my nerfs.



There was a cannon by the road.



The bridge was what originally grabbed my attention.










This would be a great place to picnic in warmer weather in the middle of a historical day trip.




The Ohio River (and the Kentucky shore).



I had to grab a shot of the old country store. I wish I couldhave taken a picture of the old Mt. Dew sign further down the road instead of this Coke one.





~Matt

-- Posted from my iPhone
(c) 2009 iWolff Ltd.

No comments: