Monday, February 01, 2010

Context

Today I heard someone use Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." I don't like hearing this verse by itself.

The problem I have with this is context. I've heard it said before that "context is king." It certainly makes a difference when looking at many other parts of scripture, but I don't always see it applied to this verse. Let's go back a verse or two and see what the context is. All verses are taken from the ESV and typed from the screen of my iPhone--yes it was easier to type than to open up Bible Gateway and copy, ;-)--so all errors are mine in the typing and lack of editing.

29:10-14 "10 For thus says the Lord: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. 13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile."

When you look at the context of these verses it is readily apparent that they are being directed at Jews that were in captivity far from Israel. Look at the seventy year long Babylonian captivity (not the Avignon papacy, ;-)) and other bold phrases above.

I am not saying that we as non-Israelite Christians can't get anything out of the Old Testament, but I am saying that you should pay attention where promises are directed. Some promises are clearly directed at Israel and they aren't something that Christians can simply "claim." God doesn't work like that. He keeps his promises. I believe that if a promise was specifically made to Israel then it will always be true for Israel, such promises are not transferred to the Church.

I think that Jeremiah 29:11 is a small illustration of this larger issue. It reminds me in some ways of the "Prayer of Jabez" craze that swept through the Christian (and even the secular world) a few years ago. [Side note: I am always suspicious of any "Christian" book that rises in the secular bestseller charts. When Jesus was talking about the core of his ministry it was a hard thing to listen to--people would rather have itching ears. If many non-Christians are buying a book, and yet not experiencing true life-changing conversions, then something is wrong and likely un-Biblical about the book. ] It was a misinterpretation of a couple small verses and attempted application to Christians everywhere.

No, I'm not a theologian and I haven't studied Hebrew before writing this post. Heck, I didn't even consult a commentary or my MacArthur Study Bible. I based this all off of a clear reading of the text, in context, which I think is key to understanding nearly everything written. One final example.

Is Joe racist because he uttered the phrase "Jews deserve to die" in school?
Or does it make more sense in context? "In the conclusion to his report on the Holocaust Joe summed up the Nazi view of the Children of Israel in one simple sentence: 'Jews deserve to die.' "

Once you see the context you can see that Joe isn't racist, he was simply stating the position of the Nazis. Of course I am not saying that people who misapply bits of scripture are Nazis, it was simply a handy example. I am saying that you don't want to take scripture out of context. Remember, verse and chapter divisions are not inspired--so you can't just pick verses out of context.

~matt

~Matt

No comments: