Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sovereignty of God

I recently heard a passage of Scripture paraphrased and it struck me as wrong. The reference was to Genesis 50:20, where Joseph talks to his brothers, but said "God used it for good." I checked several translations to be sure that I remembered correctly. The verse says "meant it for good" NOT "used."

Genesis 50:20 (HCSB)
You planned evil against me; God planned it for good to bring about the present result-the survival of many people.

Genesis 50:20 (ESV)
As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.

Genesis 50:20 (ASV)
And as for you, ye meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

Genesis 50:20 (KJV)
But as for you, ye thought evil against me; [but] God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as [it is] this day, to save much people alive.

God doesn't just use things. Rather he sovereignly ordains the course of the world and our lives.

Gen 45:1-8 and Job 1:20-22; 2:10 also illustrate this point.


~Matt

-- Posted from my iPhone
(c) 2010 iWolff Ltd.

Location:Gunpowder Rd,Florence,United States

2 comments:

Ann said...

very good Matt

Becky Schell said...

Well, if you want to make the Bible say what you want, just write your own version. Presto! Twisto! The truth according to (insert name here). Way to have your discerning antenna up, Matt.