Thursday, May 06, 2010

Gmail Mobile

I was talking with somebody yesterday and explaining what it meant to "like" something on Facebook.  I remarked that sometimes bad news is "liked" when someone else commented that some people are agitating for a "dislike" option on Facebook.  If I had one for Google services I'd use it right now.  I don't remember how long ago, but fairly recently Google changed the interface for Gmail mobile.

Previously there was a handy little toolbar that floated at the top of the screen.  You could use the buttons here to archive messages and assign a label.  I have Gmail routed through the mail app on my iPhone and I enjoy using that--but that interface doesn't allow me to label and archive, critical features I use to keep my inbox largely clear.  My inbox serves as a "to do" list and as soon as something is done I want to archive it.

Well the new version of Gmail that I can access via my iPhone's Safari browser still has the ability to archive--but I cannot label any messages!  :(  Normally I enjoy Google's new features, but I simply cannot understand this change, it really seemed to decrease functionality.  But the most frustrating thing is that I cannot find mention of this change anywhere on the Google blogs I read (none of the writers owns an iPhone though, and I think Android has a native Gmail app), nor on the official Google blogs.  I would just like to know why these changes were made and if anyone else is as annoyed as I am.

~Matt

No comments: