Thursday, June 17, 2010

Home from Virginia

On Sunday I traveled back from Virginia--it was a long day, but a good time nonetheless.


While in Richmond there was no chance to visit a historical site. Therefore on the way home we stopped of at Monticello. I haven't been there since I was a kid. I did forget to pay cash for something--I remember getting two dollar bills as change. No pictures were allowed inside, but I did grab many outside shots including these two on my iPhone.


We stopped at Wendy's for lunch--but it turned out to be 2.7 miles off the interstate.  Needless to say it wasn't quite as quick as we'd hoped.


Somewhere in West Virginia the rain started pouring down.  Of course it was a downpour just as we drove into a rest area because some people needed to use the restrooms.
We did make it to the restrooms, and I ducked into the welcome center area to get a state map.  The rain did stop for a while.



I always like taking pictures after a rain shower--the water seems to make greens really pop.



Ever since I visited the Smokies I've really appreciated "smoky hills"



Once we were back on the road the rain started back up.



When we stopped at a truck stop our pickup and trailer seemed so small.



I thought this was a cool penny machine with eight different designs, until I tried to make a second design.  The descriptions were labeled incorrectly!  I got two "Lucky West Virginia" pennies, and I didn't even want one of them.  *sigh*



I did think these spoons were pretty cool.  I've bought ones like this before at the Appalachian Culture Fest at the Museum Center.



One of the people driving with us wondered why I took this picture, but I have to take pictures of strange signs.  :-)



We drove over several bridges of this type.



We were about thirty minutes from Winchester, KY, but Dan and I still tried to find Ale-8.  It was too expensive.



This vending machine was inside the Wal-Mart located at the exit where the Ale-8 bottling plant is located.



Awesome selection!



And we all thought this bus was strange with no signs or distinguishing markings.



~Matt

-- Posted from my iPhone
(c) 2010 iWolff Ltd.

No comments: