Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Fair #1: Dearborn County

Last night I went to the first fair of the summer with Kyle and Amanda, the Dearborn County Fair just over the river in Indiana.

Amanda wanted to try frog legs.  She offered me some and they weren't bad.  They tasted fishy but weren't bad.



We watched the goats for a little while--I think this was the intermediate level.



We saw this hand washing station and Kyle thought about playing Frisbee, but we couldn't find one (and Edana wasn't along either, :( ).



There were a few cows, but the area was dark and my picture didn't turn out too well.  This one was even a combination of two shots.



When we came up to this pen the older goat was eating out of the food dish, right around the small one.



I thought this drawing was pretty cool--it is quite intricate.



Ah, old things, they can look so cool when you repurpose them.



This was a Tide goat!  Quite a creative reusing of parts.



I'd love to figure out what wood this was made of.  I liked how it transitions from light to dark tones.



I took this picture to show Amanda how the camera worked, but it is a neat LEGO creation.



I'm not sure what the significance of this was,but Amanda wanted a picture of it.



Can you read the text?  It claims that a serving of peanut butter should be the size as the tip of your thumb!!  Who can just eat that small of an amount of peanut butter?  Even if I'm just getting some as a quick snack I always eat more than that.



When I first read this I thought it said Live (as in alive, not dead) Tobacco, free!



We saw the Williams brothers and talked for a bit.





We had to visit the small critters.



Some of the rabbit breeds were familiar, though Kyle just kept calling them dinner.











Amanda and I both had to drag Kyle over for this shot.



This was in the same area as the above piece--a chainsaw carver.  I remember seeing this same setup the past couple years.  The designs are pretty cool.



I had to take at least one picture of a tent stake--it is in my photography contract, ;-).



The sheep were pretty cool.



This little goat seemed so tiny.



This makes for an even better size comparison.



We didn't stop here, but I had to get a picture of books!



I saw this sign on the way out.  There wasn't anyone around for me to make sure that my car was authorized and okay to drive around outside of the fair...



I plan to visit more fairs over the summer and hopefully I'll post about them also.

~Matt

-- Posted from my iPhone
(c) 2010 iWolff Ltd.

2 comments:

MJV said...

Don't know why I happened upon this today, but thought I would let you know (in case you haven't already solved this mystery) that the wood you admired in the hand cart is probably Western Red Cedar aka Aromatic Cedar, often used for cedar chests. :) If it was strongly variegated browns instead of reds it would be hickory.

Matt said...

Ah, cool. Thanks. I've only seen cedar like that on the inside of a cedar chest (where it was unfinished).