Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reading is important

I've always enjoyed reading.  Well not always, but ever since I was young I've had a fascination with the written word.  My parents read to me frequently (for which I am quite grateful) even long after I'd learned to read.  Sometimes as a kid I was punished by not being allowed to read.  It was an effective punishment, but has surprised many people that I've told about it.  Reading goes beyond just books for me as I can't help but read any signs that I walk or drive past--but at least I read silently.  When I was a kid I'd often read all the signs I could see while my parents were driving.

I saw this in a newsletter that came out from one of the local libraries (I have three local library cards--one for my county and two for adjacent counties).  This came from the Hamilton County Library:


MARCH IS READING AWARENESS MONTH
March is Reading Awareness MonthDo you want to improve your child or grandchild’s wellbeing, school readiness, and learning outcomes?  Research shows that the simple act of reading aloud is the single most important thing you can do to prepare your child to learn. During Reading Awareness Month in March the Library is encouraging all parents to make reading to their children 15 minutes every day part of their daily routine. Your library has a range of fun and engaging books to suit your child. Ask your librarian for recommendations.

I think that this is an excellent idea.  When my wife and I have kids I plan to frequently read to them.  I've even hung on to many excellent kids books.  I obtained them from my elementary school library when they were discarded, and I assume that many of them are out of print.  I'd like to let my kids have a library at home when they start growing up rather than always having to buy new (or new to us) books or going to the library.  I remember one of my sisters telling me that she once babysat some kids in a house with no books!  She said that she would take over books and the kids loved being read to.

~Matt

No comments: