Monday, September 17, 2012

Firehole Falls

The Firehole Falls are one of the very many waterfalls that we saw in Yellowstone. I feel like we saw at least one different waterfall each day, and some days it was more than one.  I knew there were geysers, I knew there were large animals, but I'd either forgotten or not known that there were so many waterfalls in Yellowstone.

We came across this one as we were driving south.  I think that it was along another turn off, similar to the one where we discovered the Virginia Cascades--but it was definitely higher than that particular water feature.

The road was alongside a rocky cliff, just like the cascades.

After we drove by I think we saw that there was a swimming hole nearby--but it was close when we drove past (and was quite cold).  Needless to say I wouldn't try swimming anywhere near these rapids.

I think it could be interesting to see how far that depression goes.  I could imagine a story where the hero tumbles down the falls and then rests their battered body in that small sheltering alcove.

The rocks are quite fascinating.  I really enjoy the different textures visible as you look up and down.

I wonder where these trees came from and what kind of story they would tell if you knew.  How far have they floated down the river?

However, you didn't read this just for the pictures, did you?  You want to see a video too.  I'd be happy to oblige:


~Matt

No comments: