Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Part III

Here are just a few more pictures from the canyon.


























I'm pretty sure this view was downstream.  I thought the red tints on the left were different, and I liked how all of the colors contrasted interestingly with the green trees on the rims.


























The clouds were a bit annoying, blocking the sun.  But I waited until the sun came out and hit the yellow stone of the cliffs.  I really wanted to capture their color.


I've used this picture as my profile picture on Facebook for a while now.  Sadly Amy's eyes are closed in her  picture--otherwise I'd use it more.


























As I mentioned above the differently colored rocks were also well worth looking and comparing to the dominant yellow.


























I enjoyed the diversity of trees within Yellowstone.  Yes, the majority of trees were lodgepole pines--but there were plenty of other specimens and even variety amongst the lodgepole--witness the really funky ones used in the decorations at Old Faithful Inn.


The trees also grew right up to the edge.


I only wish we'd taken the time to see the upper falls--but I'll make sure we do that on our next trip back to the park.


And I'd also really like to go to the brink of the falls.  Right now we're planning a trip to Niagara Falls, and I can only imagine what the water there will look like--hopefully I get some fun pictures like this there too.


Even the water further downstream was interesting, especially against the brilliant colors of the canyon walls illuminated in the evening sun.


I think that you can really see the yellow in this shot, again thanks to the sun.  I hope you've enjoyed this trip to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

Look at all of my pictures from the canyon in this album:


~Matt

No comments: