Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thermal Pools

On the morning of June 10 we woke up early and headed south.  The plan was to see several geothermal features not too far from Old Faithful that we hadn't had time to see previously, then continue south to Lake Yellowstone and possibly explore some of the Tetons as well.

After not too long we came to an area of a couple thermal features early on--but I'm not sure exactly where it was.  I can't find the location on any of the maps we have.  I knew it was after we left Norris, but before we passed Madison (since once past Madison we saw the Firehole Falls).  If you happen to recognize a location for these pictures please let me know!

I got out of the car, but Amy wasn't quite warmed up, so she stayed next to the heater.  I grabbed my iPhone and headed out to take a few shots.

























I came to a pool rather soon that was nice and warm.  As the morning was chilled I could definitely feel the heat rising up.

You can see the water movement easier in this video:


I find it very interesting that even some regular plants (as contrasted from the thermophillic microscopic organisms) can live in the hot water.

Further on there was an even larger pool.

The best sight had to be the steam rising from a lake and spring.


I even took a video so you can see how much the water was being churned up:


You can see the stream that flows into this area as well as the rest of the very large pool here:


After this we continued driving south towards Madison.

~Matt

No comments: