Saturday, October 06, 2012

Back to Old Faithful

On the tenth of June we kept driving south.  We generally avoided places we had already visited (such as the Old Faithful area), but we needed to make a stop (a restroom break I think) and I realized we hadn't yet visited the Old Faithful Upper General Store, so we made a quick visit to the establishment.  It isn't quite as old as the Lower General Store (which I don't recall visiting--but I'm not completely sure where we visited in the area, especially if I don't have specific pictures), but is still an old building that looks quite wonderful.

It was also a great place to look for souvenirs.  I bought quite a few postcards in the park.  We didn't end up buying too much other than postcards, but it was fun to look through all of the things that we saw.
I really enjoyed the architecture of many of these stores, and there were other features to appreciate, such as the informative signage.

Built from 1929-1930 by Charles Hamilton, Old Faithful General Store's grand park architecture is in the huge log beams, magnificent fireplace, and impressive light fixtures.  The store was originally known as the Basin Auto Camp Store, and was built to serve the first automobile driving visitors staying in the Old Faithful tent camp.
--from the left-hand sign above
It was nice to see how many fireplaces there were throughout Yellowstone, especially since we did have some chilly weather during our visit.

One of my favourite things to see was the faucets in the bathroom.  I haven't seen separate hot and cold water spigots in years!  I didn't things things like that were allowed anymore once people decided that people might burn themselves on the hot water.

Of course it wouldn't be a place near Old Faithful if there wasn't a clock showing eruption times.

~Matt

No comments: