Friday, October 26, 2012

I Voted

I don't mind having ID to prove that I am who I say I am.
Since we are going to be out of town on Election Day, Amy and I voted early today.  We're going to be visiting Nashville to spend some time relaxing with my folks for about a week and a half.  However, I didn't want to miss the chance to vote.  When I was in college I voted absentee several times.  In California you just needed to register for an absentee ballot, which would be mailed to you.  You then filled it in and mailed it back.  Kentucky does allow for mailing a ballot, but they have early voting set up if you have a specific reason that you can't vote on Election Day.  One person behind us in line just said that he wasn't sure if he'd be working on Election Day and the clerks had to inform him that if he wasn't going to be out of town or have another reason on the list he couldn't vote early.

We drove through Covington towards the Kenton County Building.

There were parking meters out front, but I guessed they were defunct from their condition (and I didn't see a place to easily insert coins), so we walked in without feeding them.

Inside I saw a plaque describing the USS Kenton, which I had never heard of.  It was a transport ship built and used during World War II that was named after Kenton County, Kentucky.
I'm more than happy to tell who I voted for.  I sincerely hope that I voted for the next president of the United States.  Even if you disagree with me politically, please go study the candidates and issues and then go vote.  If you haven't thought about the issues and candidates then I hope you don't vote, though it is your political right to do so if you want to.
Across from the Kenton County building I noticed this interesting structure.
I'm sure this company no longer occupies the building.  I do enjoy old company names that were engraved in stone and thus remain even when the building is repurposed.
Amy sat in the car, but I looked across the street and noticed this small park along with a view of the Roebling Bridge.
 The park area was dedicated to Northern Kentucky Police Officers.

There are a series of inscriptions dedicated to officers who have (I assume) fallen in the line of duty.

Just behind the memorial above I stood next to the wall and held my phone up to get this shot.  I've walked over the Roebling Bridge (built by the designer of the Brooklyn Bridge), but I haven't yet driven over its span.

All of these pictures and a couple more of other interesting buildings in the area are included in this album:

~Matt

No comments: