Sunday, October 07, 2012

Kepler Cascades

As I think I said previously we saw MANY waterfalls while in Yellowstone.  Earlier in the day we had driven past the Firehole Falls along the Firehole River.  After stopping at the Old Faithful area we continued along the loop road to the south towards West Thumb.

We crossed over the Firehole river a few more times, and once we came to a turnoff near the river that I decided to quickly explore.  I think that Amy might have stayed in the car (she was cold, especially as the road rose in elevation), but it was worth the short quick walk, even if I did have to look out for ice on the path.

There was a short boardwalk/overhang on the side of the canyon.

Looking upstream the cascades were quite obvious, and majestic as well.

I also looked directly down into the canon off the far edge of the platform.

There were a good number of branches that yielded many interesting pictures.  I especially enjoyed the pine cones.

The red pine cones were neat even if I couldn't get a completely clear picture.


And the dead needles also provided an interesting color contrast.

Then I'll leave you with a closeup of the rapids.

~Matt

PS Here are all the pictures:

No comments: