Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge is the closest border crossing to Niagara Falls, located just downstream of the falls.

Characteristically ahead of its time, the NFBC [Niagara Falls Bridge Commission] had begun planning and designing a new span when, in January 1938, the Falls View Bridge crashed into the river under the tonnage of its own ice accumulation.  
Britain's King George VI and Queen Elizabeth dedicated the site of its replacement --the world-renown, world-class Rainbow Bridge - the following year. A commemorative monument at the Canadian Rainbow Plaza is prominent among Niagara historic photo opportunities. Snapshot sites abound around the plaza. Oakes Garden Theatre and Rainbow Gardens, extolled as among the world's most beautiful, lie adjacent to the Canadian terminal.  
Dedication of the Canadian Rainbow Plaza in October 2000 marked the near-completion of a $100-million (U.S.) revitalization and expansion project to meet projected cross-border transportation needs well into this millennium. Our expanded American Rainbow Plaza, dedicated in 1998, won the coveted Federal Design Achievement Award and was a contender for the Presidential Design Achievement Award. 
--from Niagara Falls Bridge Commission website, What is the NFBC? section

After changing into dry clothes (after the Cave of the Winds adventure) we started the walk to Canada.  Part of the way there I realized I forgot my tripod and went back for it.  It wasn't until I was in Canada that I realized I'd misplaced the tripod attachment for my camera--so I was lugging the tripod around for no reason...  The signs aren't hard to miss once you get close to the bridge.
Once you passed through the turnstile gate there was no turning back.
There was a long line of cars waiting to enter the US.
I stood in two different countries at once.
The view of the gorge was impressive--and it was interesting to see how high the mist rose.
Not much traffic on the Canadian side--but they have nice traffic signs and indicates of a currency exchange.
Amy's feet are in either country, though the location of the sign doesn't make this an easy picture.
This monument (mentioned in the description above) stands on the Canadian side of the border right next to their checkpoints.
I zoomed in on the base of the tower and discovered this quote from Genesis.
Crests are very interesting, I wish I knew what each of these symbols stood for, but alas I have never studied heraldry.
I have to admit I was surprised to see a quote from Genesis, especially one that mentions God engraved onto a public monument.
Later in the day this was the view we saw as we walked back to the US (it cost us 50¢ to get back out onto the bridge from Canada).  This was definitely better than what it would have cost us to drive over (at least $3.50--and perhaps both ways) and pay to park in Canada.  Plus the walking did us good.
 Ironically the best place to see the American Falls is definitely from Canada.
Looking down at the cliffs between the falls and the bridge I noticed this on the New York side.  I'm not sure if this is natural or a manmade spillway.
I'm not sure what is visible here, but this is right next to the disturbance in the water noted above.

~Matt

No comments: