Friday, November 30, 2012

Blog Progress

I haven't blogged about blogging in a while, but I thought it might make sense to take a break from writing a blog about Mount Rushmore to do so.  Today is the last day of November and counting this post I'll have made 37 posts this month.  Blogging isn't all about volume, but it can't hurt.  I know that it is far more interesting to go back and re-read my own blog during times where I blogged frequently.

Most of my recent posts are about vacations past, but I think these are still quite valuable.  I view them as virtual scrapbooking and a way to preserve my pictures, videos, and memories in a way I can review at a later date. I don't know if any way to preserve videos in physical scrapbooks, and printing out pictures is far too expensive anyway.  I really enjoy the vacation blogging anyway, besides the posterity angle.  I really enjoy the way that Picasa Web Albums tie into Blogger, making it very easy to integrate photos into my blog posts.  And additionally earlier this year I discovered that if I upload pictures via Google+ they don't count towards my web albums storage limit!

My goal is to blog more about daily life, the "additional" posts that I've been occasionally making alongside my vacation blogging.  I'm definitely going to upload a picture of the baby once we have an ultrasound, and hopefully once the baby is born I'll also include plenty of pictures.  I enjoy Facebook and like interacting there and uploading pictures--but I don't want to have everything tied into that infrastructure.  Timeline is nice--but what if Facebook changes things up again, goes away, or becomes irrelevant?  All of my data is trapped there, whereas this blog is likely to linger so long as Google is solvent.

Okay, this was a little bit rambling, and likely of little interest to anyone beyond me.  But I think it is still worth preserving, if only to see if I keep up with blogging about things other than vacations, especially when I run out of vacation material to post about at the end of the year.  If I'm not delayed in posting any more blogs I currently calculate that I have enough vacation material to blog until December 29 or 30.  Beyond that I'm going to have to generate more material on my own (since no trips are planned between now and then).  Or I'll dig into my archives and post something even older.  I do have notes from my 2008 trip to Chicago that I could post...

~Matt

No comments: