Thursday, November 08, 2012

Fifty One?

Grand Union flag from Colonial Williamsburg
One of the most interesting things that I've heard about the election is Puerto Rico.  I've studied history and I know much of the history of Puerto Rico, how it became American territory as a result of the Spanish-American War.  Its citizens are US citizens and don't need a passport to travel to the US.  The island is a commonwealth (not a territory) and its residents don't pay US federal income tax--they also cannot vote in presidential elections or send voting representatives to Congress.

For years Puerto Ricans and others have been uncertain of their status within the United States.  Some want things to remain the same as they have been.  Some want the island to become an independent nation, while others want it to become a state.  I saw an article on BBC about this and then read a blog post by a cartoonist I follow this morning.  I'll quote from the cartoonist (Dave Kellett of Sheldon and Drive) first as he captures some of my sentiments.

I remember my first time reading through the history of 1800's America: And seeing the constantly, constantly, constantly evolving US flag...as state after state got added, and the stars had to be reconfigured in all sorts of ways. But even as a schoolkid, I thought those days of an expanding union were behind us. That, after Hawaii's addition in 1959, that was that. 
So maybe it's the schoolkid in me, getting excited at this. A bit of youthful idealism in the idea of America. But I can't help but be excited at the possibility of Puerto Rico as the 51st state.
--from Sheldon Comics.com, Statehood by Dave Kellett

Artist rendering of possible 51 star flag, source: Wikipedia
I also remember reading about the expansion of the United States, but realizing that it was all in the past.  Alaska and Hawaii were admitted long before I was born, so they've been part of the union for as long as I've been alive.  I also enjoy science-fiction, and there are sorts of future ideas for the expansion of the United States--but I've known most aren't that realistic.  It has seemed like the US would never change in size.  Of course jokes have circulated for years about Canada being the fifty-first state, but the US did try to conquer Canadian territory during both the American Revolution and the War of 1812--all to no avail.

Voters in Puerto Rico have supported a non-binding referendum to become a full US state. 
The measure will require approval from the US Congress, but President Barack Obama has said he will respect the vote. 
Almost 80% of the island's electorate took part in the referendum, the fourth in the past 45 years. 
With almost all the votes counted, almost 54% voted to change the island's relationship with the US. 
And in reply to a second question on what future they favoured, nearly two-thirds wanted full statehood. 
--from BBC.co.uk, Puerto Rico wants to become the 51st state of the US

Newest Canadian province of Nunavut
I enjoy dating world maps via the addition of new countries or provinces to the world.  In the past century there were of course many changes during and after the world wars.  But more recently there was the vanishing of South Vietnam, the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the creation of the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993, the dissolution of Yugoslavia in the 90s, the creation of the Canadian Province of Nunavut in 1999, East Timor's independence in 2001, South Sudan's independence in 2011.  I think it about time the US map became datable via a change.

Yes, I know there are many hurdles ahead if this is to happen and it won't always be easy.  This is mainly the geography nerd in me getting excited.  I think it would be exciting to see a change like this happen during my lifetime.

Additionally Puerto Rico has the San Juan National Historic Site already administered by the National Park Service.  I've never had a chance to visit the site--but I would definitely like to see it, perhaps while visiting the newest state someday.
US 51 Star Flag (proposed by New Progressive Party of Puerto Rico), source: Wikipedia


My wife's reaction to the news has been very different than mine.  She insists that fifty is the proper number for the states and that the only way to add one more is if we get rid of an existing one.  Sadly she is voting for California.  She explains that California won't become independent, it will just need to trade status with Puerto Rico so that California becomes a commonwealth and the number of stars on the flag remains the same.

~Matt

PS Along with Dave's blog post above also check out today's Sheldon comic strip.  It is a great webcomic strip to read anyway, but today's is specifically about Puerto Rico.  After you read that one go back and dig into the archives a bit and see if you like the strip, I think you might and thus might find something new to read each day.

No comments: