Monday, April 20, 2009

Vacation in the Smokies

I'm currently on vacation in the Smokies with my parents. We are in a campground just outside Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Today we drove into Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We drove to Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the park and my dad and I hiked up to the summit. Sadly it was cloudy up there so I didn't get any good distance shots, but here are some of my favourites from the day. We did make it into North Carolina for part of the day, which was cool because I'd never been in that state before. Now I think there are only 13 states I haven't visited. Alaska and Hawaii. Louisana (the only one of the lower 48 west of the Mississippi I haven't been to), New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut), Delaware, and the South-east (South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida). Wait, that is 14, :(.

~Matt

I have gotten several good panoramics so far, including a couple of vertical shots. Here is one of the forest and one showing the twists on one of the roads (and in the background you can see some beautiful clouds).


I love the shots that show the trademark clouds and "smoke" of the Smokies... I loved the scenes from the Last of the Mohicans that were filmed here...


2 comments:

Mark Baker said...

If I've been to half the states, I'd be lucky. I need to take a serious road trip.

Of course, I have been to Hawaii, so there!

Matt said...

:-P Yeah, take a road trip that swings through Cincinnati. You could actually visit the Museums I work at instead of just getting to drive by one of them.