Monday, February 20, 2012

A Marketly Different Exhibit

(yes, I meant to type exactly what I typed for the title of this post, ;-))

While working at the Museum Center recently I saw advertisements for a new exhibit that was opening up in the Ruthven Gallery (on the lower level).  Exhibits in this space are always free since the space isn't inside one of the museums and there isn't enough space to put an exhibit that demands a separate entrance fee.  This particular exhibit concerned Findlay Market.  I'd heard about it before, but had never visited, so I thought that this small little exhibit would be fun to see--and it definitely was.  Since I'm not originally from the Cincinnati area I enjoy every opportunity that I have to learn more about the area's history.  It will be at the Museum Center until April 22, so check it out if you're in the area.  I headed down with Amy on Saturday when we were visiting the Appalachian Culture Fest (since I knew we'd be coming up for that I didn't visit it on my own before that day--I wanted to save it for our trip).

The first part of the exhibit featured a black and white historic photo of part of the exhibit along with a few props, so of course I had Amy pose for a picture.  She hasn't figured out that she can take pictures of me, ;-).  It was also quite interesting to read about the Findlay's that laid out the land later used for the market.
I also didn't know that Cincinnati had several other markets.  One lasted into the 50s and the last one (besides Findlay) was destroyed in the 60s when the forerunner to I-75 was built through the city.
 Of course there were traditional artifacts in glass cases, but some were rather fascinating.  The wooden clogs in the right hand side of the the case above on the right were apparently used for making sauerkraut.

The farmer's market part of the Market looks like fun--we're definitely planning a trip to visit that once it is open between May and October.

I thought some of the old signs were particularly fun!

The best part about the exhibit was a letter that was left in the notebook for visitor feedback.  Here is a picture and a transcription:

"When I was 11 yrs old, my grandma took me to F[indlay] Market for the first time because she said it was where all of our family went when they came "of age."
I remember it so well because she left me there for an hour to think that I was lost.
After that, she found me and bought me my first beer and bar of soap.  My life has been forever changed!"

The artifacts, signs, and information really made me want to visit Findlay Market!  I figured though that it wouldn't be open in the winter.  But Amy looked it up and found out that it was open (I hadn't realized how much was enclosed).  We then discovered that it was only a couple minutes away from Union Terminal--so we headed there!  Look for a blog post tomorrow about this fun place.

~Matt

No comments: