Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Washington DC - Part II

George Mason Memorial, Smithsonian Castle

After leaving the Jefferson Memorial we headed a bit further around the Tidal Basin to see the George Mason Memorial.  The memorial's website gives a rather brief description of the site: "Dedicated on April 9, 2002, honors the little known but widely felt contributions of an important founding father."
George Mason belonged to the genteel Virginia plantation society that cultivated some truly extraordinary leaders.  George Washington regarded Mason as his mentor and Thomas Jefferson described him as “the wisest man of his generation.” He devoted himself to achieving American independence, despite being a widower with nine children to raise.  Mason helped draft the Fairfax Resolves that recommended a “continental congress” to preserve colonial rights. In 1776 Mason wrote the landmark Virginia Declaration of Rights that not only inspired the American Declaration of Independence, but also France’s 1789 Declaration of the Rights of Man and the United Nations’ 1954 Universal Declaration of Human Rights.--NPS Website, George Mason Memorial
Enroute I got a great shot of the Washington Monument over the Tidal Basin, framed by the trees.
After waiting for a few people to clear out I managed to grab this HDR shot of the memorial.  I believe that the pool and gardens predate the creation of the statue and bench/arbor area.
The sign below is what you'll see if you click on the link at the end of the quote above.
The statue is rather large, but not overwhelming.
Of course I had to look at the books.  Locke and Rousseau definitely did influence the founders.
 There were also some other interesting details--the plate looks like a face to me.
Aunt Joanna had fun with pictures as well.
Of course we had to grab a family picture with George.
We saw these bikes at several different points--they're available for rent around the city.  I guess the point is to use them point to point because you pay extra if you use one for longer than thirty minutes at a time.
We also saw several of these busses touring the busy streets.  I certainly wouldn't ever drive around DC unless I had to--I'd take the Metro, walk, or perhaps a tour bus like this one.
We didn't try to get tickets to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing--but some day I really want to go through there.
The Holocaust Museum is something that I definitely want to see again--but I know it will require a large time commitment.
We didn't go into the Castle, but Joanna and I both stopped for a few pictures.
The clock looks great with all of the incorporated stone.
This is an HDR picture from my phone.
Sadly I had to zoom in to see this tower and I had to wash out the sky to see any detail.
Our main destination on the mall was the Air and Space Museum--but I took enough pictures there that that visit will require a post of its own tomorrow.

~Matt

No comments: