Thursday, April 22, 2010

Okefenokee Geography

I just realized that I haven't talked about the location of Okefenokee very much amidst all of the pictures.  Therefore I went looking for maps of the area and found a couple of good ones on Wikipedia.  First is the location guide at left so you can see exactly where the swamp is located.  I've known about it for years (if nothing else a geography program we used to have on the computer taught me the location), but many people said "Okefenokee where?" or "Okefenokee what?" when I told them where I was going for several days.  The swamp is located in southern Georgia, extending somewhat south of the state line into Florida.

Notice the two rivers--St. Marys and Suwanee that flow from the swamp.  Apparently there was much talk in the past of making a canal between the rivers to ease transportation between the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic without going around Florida.  I can tell you that the current going towards the Suwanee River is great when you get to the western side of the swamp.  Speaking of the western side of the swamp the next map concerns the canoe routes through the swamp.  The route that I've been showing y'all is the red trail which you can trace on the map starting from Kingfisher Landing.  I wish that I could have geotagged my pictures with the location--but when I upload some of them into Picasa Web Albums I'll do my best to tag some (like those in Maul Hammock) with their locations.


~Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information were very helpful for me, I've bookmarked this post, Please share more information about this
Thanks