Sunday, September 09, 2012

Virginia Cascades

After visiting the Norris Geyser Basin we still had plenty of daylight left to see.  So we drove around the loop road and headed towards Canyon Village

At one point I noticed a small turn-off that paralleled the main road for a stretch.  It turned out to be a one-way road that passed by the Virginia Cascades on the Gibbon River.

Seeing small things like this that reminded me that Yellowstone (and other NPS units) is about more than just the "big things" like Old Faithful and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.  Little features like the Virginia Cascades are also an essential part of an enjoyable trip to the park.  The next time we visit I'd like to see more of these little things.

There weren't too many spots to pull off, but I did stop a couple times to take pictures of the rock walls, which were very distinctive, especially since many of the park roads tend to be in flat areas with great views and high rock walls aren't that common along them.

When I finally saw the cascades I had to stop to take a couple videos, even thought there weren't any great pull-off spots.  I think I remember stopping my car and putting on my emergency flashers while I got out to take videos including this first one of the area upstream of the actual falls.



Then I got a shot down stream of the brink of the cascades.
























As you can see from these next photos there really wasn't much room along the road, and sadly I wasn't able to get a good picture or video of the cascades from below.

























If you visit Yellowstone make sure that you take some of the scenic byways, or even take a hike.  Don't just see the "big things" that everybody sees.  Treat yourself to some of the many, many beautiful sights off the main beaten path.

~Matt

No comments: