Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Graubner Library

Years ago when visiting Michigan I remember going by a Graubner orchard.  First of all you have to understand that my last name isn't common.  It is rare that I come across anyone with the same last name who either isn't related, or isn't in Germany.  My paternal grandfather had cousins who lived further south in Michigan including one named Roland.

Born March 4, 1904 [four years after my grandfather], in what was then North Grove, Michigan, (between Mayville and Caro), Roland Graubner grew up on the family farm.  His father, William, died when Roland was 6 years old, leaving his mother, Nettie Johnson Graubner, brothers Franklin and Willford, and sisters Carrie and LaBelle, to run the farm.  "There was a big family to support," Mr. Graubner stated.  "When we got through high school we had to move out.  I went to Detroit. 
He married in 1933 and "In 1958 the Graubners moved from Detroit to the orchard at 65885 Van Dyke after the death of Mr. Graubner's aunt, Florence Brice, who, with her husband Gideon, owned the orchard.  Mr. Graubner purchased the property from the estate and moved his family quickly because, "The cherries were ripe and the peaches were just beginning to come in.  At home in the thumb my grandfather set out an orchard--cherries, and a few grapes.  Anyway, I was always a frustrated farmer."
--from Graubner Library dedication pamphlet
Orchard sign preserved in library hallway
When we visited the library I asked at the desk to see if anybody could tell me more information about the origin of the library.  I also poked around and took pictures of all the signs that I could find.  The orchard doesn't exist any more as the land it occupied was donated for the library.  The reference librarian asked around and eventually got permission to give me a copy of the pamphlet given out at the dedication of the library that contained a short biography of Roland Graubner (excerpted above).

Outside I made sure that both Amy and I had pictures next to the sign.
She hasn't been a Graubner as long as I have, but she still is one!
It was a fun place to visit, and I'm glad that I talked to the staff inside to explain who I was in my quest for more information.
I also picked up several library brochures just because it was cool to have things with my last name on them, ;-).  And I thought that the Lego Club looked like a pretty neat idea!

~Matt

No comments: