Wednesday, October 10, 2012

On-line Museum

I read several technology blogs, trying to keep up on interesting news from the world of technology.  One of those I keep track of is the Official Google blog.  Some things are somewhat interesting, and others are very interesting.  Today I read about several on-line exhibitions that Google has put together.  I read it while browsing my phone at work and didn't have a chance to check it out until I was home this evening.  They are pretty amazing!
Today you can discover 42 new online historical exhibitions telling the stories behind major events of the last century, including Apartheid, D-Day and the Holocaust. The stories have been put together by 17 partners including museums and cultural foundations who have drawn on their archives of letters, manuscripts, first-hand video testimonials and much more. Much of the material is very moving—and some is on the Internet for the first time. 
--from the Official Google blog, Bringing History to Life
So far I've only explored the D-Day and coronation of Queen Elizabeth II entries, and only a bit of that.  But it is excellent, organized around a timeline with pictures, descriptive text, and even videos!  I can only imagine how useful resources like this will be someday when we have kids and want to teach them things.  I love books and still have my extensive history collection--and I have no plans to get rid of it.  But just as I would supplement it with trips to museums and historic sites, I think those are well worth supplementing with worthy virtual trips.


Check out the Google Cultural Initiative today.  You may not appreciate everything, but I think you may very well find something that you'll enjoy reading and discovering or that is certainly worth your while to explore.  Go check it out!

~Matt

PS The Google blog that brought all of this to my attention also reminded me of their work with the Dead Sea Scrolls.  This is especially relevant since one of the places I work (the Cincinnati Museum Center) is going to be hosting the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit starting next month.

No comments: