Sunday, October 28, 2012

Road to the West

Once we left Artists Paintpots behind we drove on a short ways and then stopped at a hot spot along the Gibbon River and Beryl Spring.  I recorded myself on video mentioning Beryl Spring and I can find it on a map, but the hot spot along the river isn't anything that I can figure out, I don't think it is part of Monument Geyser Basin, which is marked on the large Yellowstone map (and which we forgot to visit).  So perhaps it doesn't have a name and can just be known as the Gibbon River hot spot (as I entitled my YouTube video of the feature).




Further along, as I said, we stopped to see Beryl Spring.




I also grabbed a couple shots of ice melting off pine branches.

One of the stretches that we drove along had a sign similar to those that I'd seen in other places, indicating that the area was naturally reseeded after the massive fires of 1988.
 We saw this elk sitting peacefully and chewing her cud.
 In this video you can see a bit more of the elk.


These birds were swimming directly next to the elk.
There have been quite a few people traveling through Yellowstone over the years, from Indians, mountain men, and the Nez Perce.

If you'd like to see a few more pictures then check out the entire album:


~Matt

No comments: