Sunday, September 22, 2013

Trip to Chicago, pt III [Dec 2007]

I stayed with my aunt and uncle in the suburbs of Chicago when I visited in late 2007.  You can read the first post (from 2007) here, and recently I posted the second one concluding the first day of the trip.  My nephew Christopher was supposed to fly to Chicago to meet me and then he was planning to take the bus back (I'd bought him an extra $1 ticket).

December 08, 2007
Line 4 to Elburn, 17:44 
Apparently Chris had a bad night last night.  he wasn't able to make the flight this morning, and thanks to his Tuesday final can't take another one for a worthwhile trip :(.  I got a late start this morning because I was uncertain what Chris would do.  However, I found I could also obtain basic admission to the [Adler] Planetarium for free!  I planned to hit both the Field & Adler to scope them out.  I only made it to the Field. 
I took some pictures, but because of time uncertainties I was reluctant to stop for many.  I'll admit that I went through many exhibits fast, the same thing I bemoan when I see it in others.  I, however, plan to return over the next couple days and see things in detail.  Monday or Tuesday I may even go north to another museum two where I should have free admission.  Never have I enjoyed this perk of having a Museum center membership before--it is nice!  I need to remember change for tomorrow so I can use the penny smashing machines. 
Since the weather isn't clear and Chris isn't with me I'm not sure I'll go to the Sears Tower or Hancock building after all.  I at one time thought I may have made the trip too long, but I'm no longer sure of that.  With the train commute and several free museums I [do] not have enough time for even that.  I don't regret walking through downtown, except that I'll probably wear long underwear tomorrow.  I never would have found Panda Express otherwise!  My aunt and uncle are busy Monday night, so I think I'll eat there on my way back to the train station.  I also found a comic shop on Madison that I want to visit--probably on Monday.  It has been too long since I've been to my shop in Kentucky.  I'm sure they have a bag of issues saved for me.  I could write more, but I'm going to my book now.  'The Devil in the White City" is about the 1893 World's Fair and a serial murderer of that time.  It is fascinating and I'm reading it instead of my Jim Butcher book to make sure it is done before I go home (it belongs to my aunt.). P 151    18:02

That was all for that day, but the next day has quite a bit more when I get to the real reason for my visit to Chicago, an exhibit on geography at the Field Museum.

~Matt

No comments: