Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Trip to Chicago, part VI [Dec 2007]

Read part I, part II, part III, part IV, and part V of the account of this trip from 2007.

December 11, 2007

Train to Chicago, 07:20 CST 
Well I made the early train this morning, so if I can make the connection I want I should arrive before opening. I  really should have investigated the Museum of Science and Industry before this.  Especially with the Star wars and maps exhibit it looks like a great place.  Oh, and I can't forget the submarine (U-505)!  I definitely want to do that tour.  I plan on spending the whole day at the museum, until they kick me out!  It is located in one of the buildings from the 1893 Columbian exposition that was made permanent.  The field was apparently also located nearby until its present building was constructed in the 20s.     07:27

Robot Object Theater, Museum of Science and Industry, 11:33 CST 
The Star Wars exhibit is awesome!  I wish I had another day to spend at this museum.  I'm sure I won't even be able to see half even partially adequately.     11:35 
11:40 CST 
With the exception of my free general admission ticket (which didn't scan) they've taken and thrown away each ticket.  :(  This show is good, but mainly about real world robots.  The interaction with C-3PO is cool and something I haven't seen since Star Tours at Disneyland.    11:43

5:42 train to Elburn, 18:01 CST
This is the earliest train that I've caught in my entire trip.  But I didn't have the money to buy dinner or any books from Borders so I hightailed it to the station.  The only bad thing about catching a train less than ten minutes before it leaves is that all the good seats (especially on the upper level) are gone.
Well all the museums that I've visited are on my list to re-visit if I get to return to Chicago.  I just called Laurie to remind her that I'm coming in tomorrow so I'd like someone to turn my heat back up and to pick me up.
Overall I've enjoyed the trip, the museums have been great!  Net time I need to plan a bit better, knowing transportation and museum extra costs ahead of time.  The Omnimax movie today was good (Secrets of the Pharaohs), but I could have just waited until the Museum Center showed it as a Friday Classic and seen it for free.  As it was I just spent some money and time I could have utilized elsewhere.  On the other hand while I deliberately (remembering Maps on Monday( did not take too long I really enjoyed Star Wars.
I'll have to say that besides seeing and going onto U-505 it was awesome to find the cheap shirt. I  simply couldn't afford another $20 shirt and this one was not only affordable but about something that I enjoyed! (U-505)  Sure I would have liked to have had the money to buy the Maps book, but I spent money on other things (like my hat!) and have great notes to remember it by!     18:18

23:12 [This is a fragment of a story...] Tyalus turned to his left.  He slowly moved his head back to the right.  No matter which way he looked there was nothing moving.  Either the F'elk's truly had retreated, or they were even more invisible than was usual in the snow shrouded woods.  The tribe's hunters definitely men of the woods, but they were no ghosts.  They bled and died as did other men, though perhaps just a bit clos...
Frelki'im; Elk or F'Elk
December 12, 2007

Illinois
Megabus, 07:49 
I made it to the bus okay, though for a minute this morning I thought I was late.  As we pulled up to the West Chicago station a train pulled in.  I had forgotten the exact departure time of my train so I pulled out a schedule and checked it.  I thought that I saw that this was my train, the early one I did not want to miss.  So I jumped out of the car, grabbed my bags and rain to the train.  Once I had a second to think rationally I checked the schedule and realized I was on a train about ten minutes before the one I wanted.  I'd not left this early before and forgot trains could be this close so early.  I called Aunt Mary Jean and told her goodbye over the phone after I revealed my goof. 
I think I'll miss Chicago for a while.  I enjoyed the walking to the museums each day--it was certainly good exercise and a good way to see more of the city.  The train rides each morning were also great--I got more reading done than I do most days.  If I had an office job I'd love a train commute.  In many ways it is certainly more relaxing than driving yourself to work. 
Well this driver seems to like the TV--they're all on, but extremely fuzzy.  I sat underneath one instead of the seat behind where you could look right up at the screen.  I can barely hear some audio, but that is less distracting than a screen in my face. 
We're on the interstate now.  I can turn and see the skyline behind us to the left.  AS I said, I'll miss Chicago, but it will also be good to get back to work before I get too used to not being there.     08:09

Thus ends these old memories.  I hope you've enjoyed this trip down memory lane as much as I have.

~Matt

No comments: