Saturday, May 30, 2009

Tired

Last night I was out late at the Creation Museum for another Stargazer's Night.  It went rather well, with only a few clouds drifting in.  Here is a recent entry on the Creation Museum that describes last week's Stargazer's Night.

The most recent Stargazer's Night was held on May 22 and was quite a success with nearly a sell-out crowd. Our next night on May 29 is already sold out, but two more are planned for this summer on June 26 and August 28. Volunteer geologist Jim Schultz was one of the stargazers on Friday evening. Jim is back volunteering at the Creation Museum again and was kind enough to share his thoughts on the evening:

Yes, the heavens do declare the glory of God as was well presented and shown Friday evening by Dr. Jason Lisle during the Stargazers Night. Jason opened the evening with prayer and a time of devotion centered on Psalm 19 with the audience in a nearly full planetarium. The psalm begins with a wonderful description of the universe (God's World), transitions to God's Word (It is trustworthy), and ends with God (…O Lord, My Rock and my Redeemer). What better way to begin an activity than with the Lord and in His Word, and pointing to our need as sinners for redemption to the Holy God through Jesus Christ.

Next we were blessed with the showing of Jason's first program (Worlds of Creation) that he developed for the planetarium. It presents a wonderful trip through our solar system including views from the surfaces of our moon and from Mars. I had not seen this show before and enjoyed this special opportunity.

Following a presentation of helpful tips and suggestions for viewing celestial objects through the telescopes, Jason led our group to the back parking lot under a sky with only a few clouds. One of his key tips was: "Don't be a deer in headlights!" Sorry, but you will have to attend one of these special nights to learn what that means. Anyway, we arrived to find three large telescopes (one reflecting Newtonian style and two catadioptric Schmidt-Cassegrains) set up and ready to show us some examples of God's handiwork. Although the amount of clouds began to increase considerably, we were blessed with only a few clouds for most of our viewing time. We began with the brightest objects, because there was still some light in the sky. These objects were Procyon (a white double star or binary system) and Arcturus (a red giant). A line of eager observers quickly formed to each of the telescopes.

Read the rest here.


I put this here not only because this is a cool program I'm involved in (I used to just work these, but now that I work with events I'm also the one responsible for scheduling and coordinating these events), but it is because I'm so tired.  We were out until around midnight.  When I got home I went straight to bed.  It wasn't until I woke up this morning and looked at my alarm clock that I realized I had forgotten to set it before I went to sleep.  I woke up right at 7:30 which is the time I would normally leave to be on time for my 8:00 Saturday shift (and I actually wanted to be early this morning.  I got ready faster than I have in a long time.  I was out of the door in less than ten minutes...  I was so very glad that I had my car to drive (which I got back from the mechanic yesterday--and it looks brand new!) and wasn't catching a ride or borrowing a car.


~Matt




1 comment:

Becky Schell said...

I am sure I have mentioned it before, but I am loving the Creation Museum commercials I see when I am watching Wretched. I always think of you when I see them. I am also sure I have said this before, but I just love it that you have such a great job!